Taiwanese Popcorn Chicken 🍻. These Taiwanese popcorn chicken bites are addictively delicious. Taiwanese Popcorn Chicken With Fried Basil By Sue Li. This spiced fried chicken is a staple in the night markets of Taiwan.
Kuo, who was born and raised in the southern city of Tainan, has fond memories savoring the dish at her local night market as well as at home. Taiwanese popcorn chicken is one of many must-try street foods for those visiting Taiwan. The Taiwanese popcorn chicken tastes significantly different from the KFC popcorn chicken due to the unique blend of the spice mix. You can cook Taiwanese Popcorn Chicken 🍻 using 10 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Taiwanese Popcorn Chicken 🍻
- Prepare 700 gr of Boneless chicken breasts.
- It’s 1/2 tbsp of Cooking wine.
- You need 1/2 tbsp of Soy souce.
- You need 1 tsp of 5 Spices powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Garlic powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Minced ginger.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Chilli powder.
- You need 1/4 tsp of Pepper powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Salt.
- You need 1 pack of Tapioca starch.
I used two types of peppercorns in this recipe: Szechuan peppercorns and white peppercorns. Szechuan peppercorns are not spicy but leave a numbering feeling on your tongue. White peppercorns are spicier than black. Chinese popcorn chicken or Taiwanese popcorn chicken is generally made using boneless thigh meat because of its extra juice.
Taiwanese Popcorn Chicken 🍻 step by step
- Cut chicken breasts into small chunks. Place in the large bowl..
- Add all ingredients into the bowl except tapioca powder, and mix it up..
- Marinate the chicken chunks about 10 mnt..
- Place half tapioca starch in the large bowl, then deep the chicken in one by one with tapioca starch. Place it on the plate..
- Once powdered process done, cover the plate with plastic film. Put the chicken chunks into the fridge. Leave it around 30 mnt. So the marination would be great and tastier..
- Once ready to deep frying process, remove the chicken from the fridge..
- Mix chicken chunks with half of tapioca flour. So it would b 2x powdered process..
- And now ready to deep frying. Deep fry with 350 F, until half brown. Remove it. Repeat deep frying once more, until golden brown. It is 2x deep frying process, just for crunchies purpose..
- We can find 5 spices powder and cooking wine at the Asian store so easy..
- Serve it on the plate, springkle with chilly powder and lil bit pepper powder as desire. Its really good..!! 😚😚😚 love it !!.
You can also use boneless breast meat but it is comparatively not as juicy as thigh meat. Don't be intimidated by the list of ingredients because it's pretty easy to make. Taiwanese popcorn chicken is a super crunchy, deeply savory, absolutely addictive snack that is probably one of the best things to ever come out of Taiwan. The other best thing being boba tea, of course. I have many, many fond memories of late nights at boba tea places,.