Spicy Fried Chicken. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt and pepper, and place them in a deep-sided baking dish. Pour the mixture over the chicken, stir to coat all sides of the chicken pieces, and cover the dish with plastic wrap. Here, classic buttermilk fried chicken gets a spicy twist, infusing it with spice instead of treating it as an afterthought.
In a nonreactive bowl, mix buttermilk, hot sauce and cayenne. Pour the buttermilk mixture over the chicken, cover with plastic. Season the chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper. You can cook Spicy Fried Chicken using 25 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Spicy Fried Chicken
- Prepare of brine.
- Prepare 2 liters of Buttermilk.
- You need 4 of Garlic Cloves (minced).
- You need 1 of Onion (grated).
- It’s 1/2 Cup of Hot Sauce.
- You need 2 Tbsp of Sea salt.
- It’s 4 Lbs of Chicken Pieces (legs, breasts, etc.).
- It’s of egg wash.
- You need 3 of eggs.
- Prepare 1/4 Cup of Water.
- Prepare 1/2 Cup of Hot Sauce.
- You need 1 Tbsp of crushed Chili Pepper Flakes.
- It’s 1 tsp of Garlic Powder.
- It’s of Seasoning.
- Prepare 3 Cups of Flour.
- You need 1 Tbsp of Sea Salt.
- You need 1 Tbsp of Pepper.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Onion Powder.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Cayenne Pepper.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Creole Seasoning.
- You need 1 Tbsp of Paprika.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Garlic Powder.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Poultry Seasoning.
- You need 1/2 Tbsp of Chili Powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Celery Salt.
Add to the marinade and coat well. Spicy Fried Chicken is best enjoyed fresh when the skin is still crispy. The skin won't be as crispy, but the flavors will still be there! Transfer to a large, airtight container.
Spicy Fried Chicken step by step
- Combine the Brine ingredients in a pot and mix thoroughly, the add chicken pieces. Refrigerate for 12 hours..
- Remove chicken from brine and rinse quickly to remove brine. Combine all seasonings except flour for the seasoning mixture. Divide seasoning in half. In a large bowl add the flour to the one half the seasonings..
- Sprinkle the chicken with the other half of the seasonings, use the entire amount..
- Mix your egg wash ingredients in a large bowl..
- Now set your dredging station so you have your egg mixture, seasoning mixture, and a plate..
- Dredge chicken as follows. Seasoning mixture, egg wash, and seasoning mixture a second time. Set on plate..
- Deep fry the chicken at 350°F for the following times. If using whole chicken pieces, 16 minutes. If using boneless chicken breast cut into strips, 8 minutes..
- Let rest on paper towels for 5 minutes. Serve..
Add chicken pieces, turning to coat in the liquid. Put the chicken strips in the buttermilk mixture. In a large shallow bowl or pie plate, combine the flour, oregano, remaining garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and ground black pepper. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade, shaking off any excess. This spicy fried chicken recipe is pretty easy and straight forward.