Korean Fried Chicken.
You can have Korean Fried Chicken using 22 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Korean Fried Chicken
- It’s of Marinade.
- Prepare 2 lb of chicken wings.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of garlic powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ginger powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of curry powder (optional).
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg.
- Prepare 1 tsp of real ginger, grated.
- Prepare of Frying Ingredients.
- You need 2 cups of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1/2 cup of potato starch or corn starch.
- You need of Sauce Ingredients.
- You need 1/4 cup of canola or grapeseed oil.
- It’s 2-3 tbsp of chili flakes.
- Prepare 1 inch of ginger, minced.
- Prepare 6 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 2 tbsp of soy sauce.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of rice vinegar.
- You need 1/2 cup of corn syrup.
- It’s of Garnishes (optional).
- It’s 1 of green onion chopped.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of cilantro.
Korean Fried Chicken instructions
- Place chicken wings in large bowl. Add garlic, nutmeg, curry powder and salt. Mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hour or over night. If cooking right away do not refrigerate but keep at room temperature. But for best results marinate for 2 hours if wanting to cook right away. (In these pictures I let them marinate over night.).
- Right before frying, add flour and potato starch and mix thoroughly with your hands. The potato starch should stick to the chicken wings in a thin coating. Feel free to pat the starch onto the chicken wings firmly with hands..
- Prepare for deep frying: get out your cooling racks. Set paper towels underneath to catch any grease drippings..
- Get your oil thermometer out and a pot with high sides. Add 2-3 inches cooking oil with a high smoking point. (Grapeseed oil is great for this) The goal is to add enough oil for the chicken wings to float in the pot and not stick to the bottom..
- Wait until the oil reaches 380 degrees. Then, add the chicken wings in batches until golden and crispy about 8-10 minutes. Drain wings and set aside on paper towels..
- Now it's time for the second fry. The temperature of the oil will not dip down as much as the first fry. Fry the (already fried) chicken wings in batches until they are darker and golden brown in color about 8-10 minutes per batch at 350 degrees. The wings are done when they look shrunken and compacted with a crispy coating. Drain and set aside on cooling racks..
- Prepare the sauce: add corn syrup, soy sauce, rice vinegar in a small bowl and set aside. Add a pinch if sugar if not sweet enough to your liking..
- Prepare the minced garlic and ginger. Set aside..
- Heat a wok or deep stock pot over medium high heat and add oil. When hot but not smoking add chili flakes, garlic and ginger. Mix around with a spatula or wooden spoon until fragrant and crispy looking, about 1-2 minutes..
- Add the soy sauce mixture and mix until the sauce bubbles vigorously, about 2-4 minutes. Turn off the heat..
- Add the chicken wings and mix with spatula or wooden spoon until each wing is coated in sauce. Transfer to plate and garnish with sesame seeds, green onion or cilantro..