Southern Fried Chicken. Now thats some REAL southern FRIED chicken! Thats what I call SOUL FOOD! Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour.
In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the pancake mix, salt, pepper and paprika. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time; shake to coat. This ensures the chicken is juicy and can help the flour stick better. You can cook Southern Fried Chicken using 7 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Southern Fried Chicken
- You need 2 of beaten eggs.
- You need 1 cup of milk.
- You need 2 teaspoon of paprika.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of poultry seasoning.
- Prepare 4 teaspoons of garlic salt.
- You need 2 teaspoon of black pepper.
- You need 2 cup of all-purpose flour.
Replace the milk with evaporated milk if you prefer. Use a seasoned salt blend as a substitute for the salt and pepper. The true secret to Southern fried chicken is in the seasonings. If you don't get this step right then you've totally missed out on why everyone loves bonafide Southern fried chicken.
Southern Fried Chicken step by step
- Beat the egg and milk together in a bowl..
- Combine the flour with the garlic salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and paprika in a big plastic bag.
- Put the chicken in the bag, seal it and shake to coat it..
- Dip the flour-coated chicken in the egg mixture and again in the flour mixture..
- Heat the oil in a skillet to 365 degrees F. Brown the chicken on all sides in the hot oil..
- Turn the heat down to medium low and give the chicken another half an hour or until it is cooked through..
- Drain it on paper towels and serve..
People are making fried chicken all around the world and calling it "Southern" but it's not. Dredge chicken in milk mixture, then in seasoned flour, alternating in each at least twice. In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and milk. In another bowl, combine flour and seasonings. Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, then in flour mixture.