Fried chicken. Breaded buttermilk fried chicken and a pan-drippings gravy with milk or cream. The gravy is great on the chicken, but mash up some potatoes with some butter and cream and bake up some cornbread or biscuits and you have the quintessential southern meal with some northern urban twists. Combine salt, paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
Place chicken skin side down into the pan. Take your cut up chicken pieces and skin them if you prefer. Put the flour in a large plastic bag (let the amount of chicken you are cooking dictate the amount of flour you use). You can cook Fried chicken using 8 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Fried chicken
- Prepare 2 of family sized packs chicken drumsticks.
- Prepare of flour.
- You need of salt.
- You need of garlic powder.
- Prepare of black pepper.
- You need of parsley.
- You need of milk.
- Prepare of vegetable oil.
Season the flour with paprika, salt and pepper to taste (paprika helps to brown the chicken). It's thinner than skin-on, bone-in fried chicken, which means the ratio of breading to meat is higher. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour. Place the chicken in the preheated oil and fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp.
Fried chicken instructions
- Wash all the chicken. Set aside for a lil bit..
- Get your oil in whatever skillet or pan you fry chicken in and out it on about medium high heat..
- In a large bowl blend together the flour, salt, garlic powder, pepper, and parsley. You can taste it to see if it needs more or less seasoning. I just eyeball it..
- Put your milk in a pie dish or whatever you choose to use. Put the chicken in the flour mixture and coat well shaking of any extra flour. Dip in the milk, then back into the flour being sure to kind of squeeze while coating. Continue until all chicken is coated..
- By the time you are done with the chicken, the oil should be ready. You can test it by putting a little bit of the flour in. If it doesn't bubble a little is not ready if it bubbles too quick is too hot. Temperature is very important when frying chicken..
- Place chicken in skillet being sure not to crowd it, it will not cook right if you do. Let fry until blood comes out then flip. Some pieces won't do that, it's ok as long as it's golden you can flip it. Fry in that side a while longer and do again if need be..
- When the chicken stops hissing as much in the oil it should be done. There is a carry over cook time so if your worried is not cooked through, trust me it is. Do not over cook it, no one likes dry chicken. Don't under cook it you don't want to kill anyone..
- It's really not hard to make just play with it until you get it right. Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy!.
Dark meat takes longer than white meat. But keep in mind that pieces can vary in size and thickness. What oil should I use for frying? Fried chicken is, put quite simply, a decadent delight when done right, and this recipe will take you back to the days when your mother used to fry her famous chicken for Sunday dinner. This Southern classic, Mama's Fried Chicken, is simple in its perfection.