Fried Chicken Gizzards a Southern Favorite. Pour in more water during simmering, if needed, to keep gizzards covered. Fried Gizzards are like other fried foods—you can serve them with French fries and assorted dipping sauces. Being a Southern favorite, you will also find gizzards commonly served with cornbread and/or collard greens.
The initial stewing makes these gizzards melt-in-your-mouth tender and yields a very flavorful chicken stock for other uses. In this Southern Fried Chicken Gizzard recipe, gizzards are marinated in a spicy bath of buttermilk and hot sauce then battered in a seasoned flour and fried to golden brown perfection!! Serve with my Collard Greens or Mustard Greens and Hot Water Cornbread for a truly Southern meal. You can have Fried Chicken Gizzards a Southern Favorite using 5 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Fried Chicken Gizzards a Southern Favorite
- You need 1-1/2 pound of chicken gizzards.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of seasoned salt.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of all purpose flour.
- You need as needed of cooking oil.
If you love gizzards, try my Fried Okra or Fried Pickles, I was first introduced to the glory of Southern fried chicken gizzards at Roscoe's, a chain of chicken-and-waffle houses in California. It's a place where you'll never have to worry about running out of the whipped butter that accompanies not only the waffles but just about everything else on the menu. A personal story.while I attended college I lived off chicken gizzards. There was a Maryland Fried Chicken Restaurant in walking distance of my college.
Fried Chicken Gizzards a Southern Favorite step by step
- Heat oil in a pan / skillet.
- Clean the gizzards especially this part in picture it peels off very easy.
- All your gizzards should be looking like these.
- Salt and Pepper the gizzards.
- Coat the gizzards lightly with flour.
- Fry in batches and turn as needed.
- Move to paper towels and repeat till done.
- Serve immediately you can make a gravy with the leftover flour and make smothered gizzards in gravy..
- Also serve with any sauce like the chili garlic sauce..
Wash each gizzard carefully, removing any green spots or other debris. Place gizzards in a large stock pot and cover with an inch or so of water. As a result I now have a growing assortment of quick and easy recipes including fried chicken gizzards, smothered chicken, chicken wings, and of course southern fried chicken. Today I would like to share with you each of these recipes, along with a few of my other favorites, so that you can join in on all the fun I've had over the years. Place drained gizzards on paper toweling, and pat dry.